Sunday, March 03, 2019

Le Un, Deux, Trois in Vieux Lyon, France

Salade Lyonnaise

A lot of the bouchons in Vieux Lyon look rather touristy, especially when they have staff standing in front trying to pull you in. But this tiny one (1 Place Neuve Saint-Jean, 04-26009413) sandwiched in between them looked promising...and it helped that they had a set meal that contained exactly the three things that I was looking for. The first of which was the salade Lyonnaise above, featuring freshly pan-fried bacon, croutons, and a poached egg on top. Yes, it was as tasty as it sounded, especially since the dressing was just right too.

The second item that I wanted to try was quenelle de brochet. I was told that it was a fish dumpling, which made me expect cuts of fish shoved into a jiaozi or ravioli-like wrapper. So it was to my surprise to find that the flour, egg, and fish were all mixed together, making something like an Asian fish paste. It was tender and was delicate enough to go well with the very mild crayfish sauce covering it, but I still wonder what it might've been like had it been wrapped instead.

Finally, my meal closed with cervelle de canut, or a little serving of cheese with herbs and garlic. It was kinda like Boursin but with the consistency of an Indian raita (and with a surprising amount of kick to it, I might add). It was my favorite part of the meal. Seriously, I could've eaten nothing but that with some bread and a carafe of wine (I just love how casual they are with wine, BTW). But I was glad to have tried the other things. I just wish I had more time to try other things around here, particularly from places on the other side of the river.

No comments: