Saturday, March 02, 2019

Mot Hai Ba Viêt Nam in Lyon, France

Phở

One of the things that I didn't get to try on my last trip to France was phở. Sure, phở is readily available in Southeast Asia and back home in California, but I was really really curious to see how the French did it. Besides, the weather was cold, wet, and miserable today, and a hot bowl of soup noodles sounded like the perfect pick-me-up. It'd also be a nice break from all of the shellfish, cheese, cured meat, bread, and booze that I've been shoving into my body for over a week now.

But most restaurants in Lyon shut down in the afternoon, and this was one of the only places nearby that stayed open (8 Place Jules Guesde, 09-52777828). I'm not sure if it's a valid representation of the local phở, but it was definitely very unique given those fried shallots on top. And to be more specific, they were sweet shallots, meaning that once you mixed it all together, it almost reminded you a bit of French onion soup. I'm glad that I tried it, and am curious to try other Vietnamese shops around here now.

No comments: