Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Boat Noodle Alley Near Victory Monument in Bangkok

Best of Boat Noodles

Today wasn't meant to be a day of boat noodles. But after finishing our meeting, I realized that Boat Noodle Alley was just a few train stations away. So I headed up to Ratchawithi 10 Alley and started with the innermost shop, humbly named The Best of Noodle Boat. Their bowls went for 12 THB (US$0.40) each, so I grabbed one each of the first four on the menu (one of which was already in my belly when I shot this pic). The pink yentafo one was the most unique as it included little bits of fermented tofu in there for some extra stank.

Ruathong Noodle

Of course, four bowls is not enough, so I went on down to the next shop, Ruathong Noodle, and grabbed these four bowls at 12 THB each too. The brown broth here made the biggest impression on me, as it was deep and earthy yet still smooth and refreshing without being overpowering. Basically, it was nicely balanced, and a hit of the dried chili powder gave it a nice spike too. At this point, I could've gone back to the hotel, but there were still two more shops along this strip, so I had to go check those out too.

Pranakorn Noodle

Fortunately for my waistline, one of those two remaining shops was closed on Tuesdays, but the last one, Pranakorn Noodle, was open. This one seemed the most commercialized of them all, with a more limited selection of bowls (albeit with the flexibility of choosing your noodle types) and a bigger array of side dishes. I went for these four bowls at 12 THB each, all of which were fine but not as distinctive as the stuff from the other two shops. My tummy was exploding from these twelve bowls either way; I need to stop doing these food marathons.

No comments: