Monday, January 28, 2019

An Evening of Pad Thai in Bangkok, Thailand

Pad Thai

I haven't been to Bangkok in a while. And even when I did come here quite a bit, I somehow never made it to some of the famous pad thai shops. So I went on a hunt tonight, initially going to the famous Thipsamai. But there was a huge line of tourists in front, so I diverted to this nearby shop called Baan Pad Thai (105 Thanon Mahannop). It was fast, hot, and cheap at only THB 55 (US$1.75), but only afterwards did I realize that this wasn't the Michelin Bib Gourmand that I thought it was; it just happened to have the same name.

Pad Thai Fai Ta Lu

I was thus a bit frustrated and decided to walk to Eat Pad Thai By Chef Andy Yang (115/5 Dinso Road, +66-89-811-1888). This one was a Bib Gourmand, and it was clear why: they used Berkshire pigs, tossing everything in a fiery wok downstairs. It came up super fast, and was punchier than the previous one, all while staying surprisingly cheap at just THB 75 (US$2.40). I should've called it a night by then, but I was still curious about the real Baan Phadthai that I missed. It turned out that it wasn't too far away, so I figured that I'd get a ride down there for a taste.

Pad Thai Moo Yang

It turned to be more upscale (21-23 Soi Charoen Krung 44, +66-0-2060-5553-4), with prices about three or four times more expensive than those other two, and a nice décor to match. The menu was pretty extensive too, including a crab-based version that I really wanted to try. But I was so stuffed from the previous two plates that I just stuck with the basic pork plate, which actually I couldn't finish either. Surprisingly, it wasn't as piping hot as the other two plates, but it was still tasty.

No comments: