Saturday, December 15, 2018

A Disappointing Return to R&G Lounge in San Francisco

Live Crab with Salt and Pepper

It's been more than ten years since I was last at R&G Lounge (631 Kearny Street, 415-982-7877). And either their recipe has changed, or my tastes have changed. I assume that it's the latter. The salt and pepper crab that I revered so much back when I still lived here was just unappealing to me today.

Sure, the Dungeness was still extremely fresh and tender, but this thing was coated with so much batter that it was almost like fish & chips (even the crab back was loaded with more flour than tomalley). Plus, there was so much MSG on this thing that I felt like I had eaten at least two or three bowls of instant noodles.

There's no need to come back here; their lifeless e-fu noodles didn't help either. If my memory is correct, Chef Chu's in Los Altos or places up in Hongcouver do a much better (read: lighter) job of their crab. Now that I think of it, I should try to get some typhoon shelter crab again next time I'm in Hong Kong.

No comments: