Saturday, September 15, 2018

Russ & Daughters Cafe in Manhattan's Lower East Side

Shtetl Board

I had to get some appetizing for breakfast while I was still here in New York (yes, "appetizing" is a noun used locally here to describe smoked fish and cream cheese to go with bagels). So I went over to the Russ & Daughters Café (127 Orchard Street, 212-475-4880), which was much more modern and upscale than say, Barney Greengrass, being that this is the recent restaurant extension of the original store down the street. It even featured an impressive drink selection: I got a cherry shrub, which was some kind of pickled fruit with seltzer water.

Chopped Liver

But yeah, they featured nice-looking platters like my sable and goat cream cheese one at the top. It all went down quickly with that warm thin bialy, leaving me with enough room to also grab some chopped liver, which came with matzo and pickled onions. Yes, I was very happy; so much that it is now my favorite bagel place in town now. Next time, I should try the sturgeon, and maybe even splurge on the caviar if I happen to stumble across a wad of money. Oh, and if I do stick to the sable, then I should try to remember to eat the fish on its own, lest all the other stuff cover up its delicate taste.

No comments: