Friday, June 08, 2018

Raohe Street Night Market in Taipei, Taiwan

Fuzhou Black Pepper Bun

I went over to Raohe Street Night Market because they have three different Michelin Bib Gourmand stalls. The first one, Fuzhou Black Pepper Bun, was easy to spot: it was right at the front gate and had a long line. They basically make these fist-sized meat-filled buns and shove them into some tandoor-like ovens, giving it a rather hard and chewy outside. It was certainly unique, but I don't think I'll get it again.

Shi Boss Spicy Tofu

Then I found the other stall, Shi Boss Spicy Tofu, only to realize upon getting there that the mala tofu was also stinky tofu, and in soup form with duck blood cakes below too. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but it ended up being well balanced enough to finish the entire thing off.

Raohe Street Night Market

I didn't bother with the third stall though, as the medicinal herb pork soup just didn't seem appealing at the time. Moreover, I ate this all in a rather gloomy mood, as the news about Bourdain broke just an hour earlier. I met him once at a banquet in Singapore many years ago, and he was a really friendly and cheerful guy. Very sad.

No comments: