Tuesday, August 08, 2017

SBCD Korean Tofu House in Tanjong Pagar, Singapore

Dumpling Soondubu

So it seems that this place in Tanjong Pagar Centre (1 Wallich Street #B1-01, 6386-6441) is from the folks behind BCD Tofu House in Los Angeles, where the "S" stands for Singapore. The menu was pretty similar too, with its BBQ and soondubu combination packages available, and a fried fish as part of the banchan ensemble in front of you (but you had to pay for the raw crab). The tofu was homemade too, even though I wasn't sure if it was organic or not.

It's too bad then that it wasn't salty enough. It was plenty spicy; in fact they even seem to have added some local chili padi to my "spicy" version, but it just wasn't salty enough. Still, the rice came in a stone pot, which meant you got some nice crispy edges. If I come back, then I need to remember to try a combo meal with the original beef version (I think my dumpling one today made the soup too thick), but only at the medium level of spiciness. Most importantly, I'll have to sneak in some salt packets while I'm at it.

Epilogue: I came back to try the original beef at the normal spicy level and thought it was just right (no salt packets required). I liked it enough that I want to come back again (especially with that delicious tofu), if only it were cheaper and didn't give me dragon breath.

No comments: