Wednesday, September 19, 2012

BCD Tofu House, Los Angeles

Soondubu Jjigae

After a few drinks tonight, I needed some food to sit in my belly. I went through a number of the usual LA options in my head (Mexican, Pink's, Roscoe's, etc.) but the thing that sounded perfect was a hot and spicy soup, especially since a client from Korea incidentally mentioned tonight that soondubu jjigae is usually better here in LA than in Seoul. So we went down to an outlet of BCD Tofu House in Koreatown.

They provided varying levels of spiciness. I got the "spicy" one, which was one level down from the hottest, and it was already plenty spicy. They also took pride in the fact that they used organic tofu; I really couldn't taste the difference but at least it didn't look like those factory-prepared cubes from a plastic tin.

They had other things on the menu here, including some combos with bulgogi and kalbi, as well as a spicy raw crab that was surprisingly refreshing thanks to the loads of fresh ginger in it. It was also interesting to see that they provided an entire fried fish to each person as part of the banchan. Anyway, I'm sure that I'll be at this 24 hour chain again when the next opportunity arises. Oh, and in case you're wondering, BCD apparently stands for the Bukchangdong area of Seoul.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This place is amazing! The portions are huge and I can never finish all the food they serve me.