Saturday, May 28, 2016

Damian D'Silva Singapore Heritage Food at Timbre+

1930's Kai Fan

The folks at Timbre opened up a self-proclaimed gastropark called Timbre+ a couple of months ago, and we went to go check it out today (73A Ayer Rajah Crescent). It was more interesting than I thought it would be. There was one block of your typical hawkers, but also a bunch of food trucks and open restaurants as well as a musical stage and decently-stocked craft beer shop.

Some of the stalls were from the guys behind Teppei, Dancing Crab, Two Wings, and Botak Jones, so I skipped right past those, and instead landed on Damian D'Silva, who had this "1930's Kai Fan," which I ordered precisely because I had no idea what it was. It turned out to be this rice soup thing topped with small cuts of meat, and which perked up a bit after I ground some salt and pepper into it.

It wasn't anything to go nuts about, but it was also obvious that they took a bit of care putting it together, which is precisely why I'm curious enough to come back sometime to try his other stuff, like some "dead onion anchovy spaghetti" that I saw. I'm also a bit curious about the sandwich shop, the tapas shop, and maybe even the fishball noodle shop.

No comments: