Thursday, September 10, 2015

Gattopardo Ristorante di Mare in Singapore

Grilled Sardines

I love it when you walk into a restaurant and the first thing that hits you is the smell of grilled seafood. That's what I got when I came here, a Silician restaurant that I had tried once at their old Fort Canning location a few years ago. Now they have moved to Tanjong Pagar (34 Tras Street, 6338-5498), and my impression only got better on this second trip.

Naturally, it was very seafood-heavy, like those fresh sardines above, as well as octopus and sole too, all of which were grilled delicately and deliciously. It wasn't all seafood though; in fact, the pasta was perhaps even better, including a skinny busiate corkscrew shape topped with bottarga (yum!), not to mention my favorite dish of the evening: little ball-shaped fregula topped with sea urchin. Awesome.

Granted, this place is far more upscale than I prefer. And the service wasn't what I would've expected of a place charging such high prices. But I'll happily come back if someone else is willing to pay. The place actually reminded me a bit of Gunther's. But I haven't been to either place enough times to do a proper comparison.

No comments: