Friday, May 31, 2013

Lankford Grocery & Market, Houston

Firehouse Burger and Tex Mex

Admittedly I wasn't in the mood for hamburgers this morning, but these guys were only open until 3 PM and had a burger that I really wanted to try (88 Dennis Street, 713-522-9555). So I figured that I'd come down here early enough such that I could still get hungry enough by the afternoon to eat more.

And what was this burger that I wanted to try? It was this Firehouse Burger, so named for the habanero sauce, cayenne butter, and slices of jalapeno in this thing. It wasn't as spicy as it sounded, but nonetheless still fiery enough to make me pant a little at the end of it all. (And in case you're wondering what those strangely dark things are on the right, that was what they called "Tex Mex," or battered onions and jalapenos).

Sure, it was fun to eat, but I could hardly taste the beef with all of that sauce. Somehow it seemed fitting that the wait staff's T-shirts boasted about being on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. All of the sodium in this thing no doubt resonates well with Guy "Flavortown" Fieri. Next time I should try a normal burger so that I can see what the ingredients actually taste like.

No comments: