Thursday, October 18, 2012

Los Primos Taberna y Tapas Bar

Clockwise from bottom: Pulpo de Gallego, Croquetas de Pollo, and Jamon Iberico de Bellota

A Spanish colleague of mine has been telling me about this place for a while now (81 Club Street #01-01, 6423-1773). He wasn't impressed with everything, but it was still good enough for him to come back here multiple times. We had a chance to stop by before heading home tonight, ordering the pulpo just like he suggested, along with a number of other items.

That pulpo was great. Those tender pieces were dusted in a perky paprika and doused in a fruity olive oil. The croquetas did the job too, as did the gambas. And of course I couldn't stop gobbling down the jamón. I liked it all so much that it almost seemed like one of the best Spanish places in town.

...that was, until the paella arrived. The first bite was just too tomato-ey, and to make it worse, the seafood wasn't very fresh. Fortunately, I could live with the texture of the rice, but otherwise, this was a bit of a regret. Now I know: next time, I'm coming solely for the tapas.

No comments: