Friday, June 04, 2010

Kuriya Dining, Great World City

Gindara Saikyo Miso Yaki

I've always kept my distance from Kuriya, mainly because it was so commercialized with those gigantic picture-based menus. I was thus surprised to find very high quality food here tonight (1 Kim Seng Promenade #01-28, 6736-0888), particularly the gindara above, which was so rich and tender that I wolfed that thing down in seconds. Pretty much everything else we got, be it the creamy homemade tofu or sliced sweet tomato, also hit the mark. I'm just baffled at how could a place like this be associated with those horrendous atrocities called Ichiban Boshi and Kuishin-Bo.

Then again, Shimbashi Soba is part of this corporate family too, and I like going there (almost all of the time, anyway). My main gripe about this place though is that it's unnecessarily done up into a fancy restaurant, the premium of which you have to pay for, even if the food is pretty much just izakaya fare (well, OK, and maybe a few other things like shabu shabu). I'd much rather hop over to cozy and humble Shinjuku instead...or maybe Rakuichi if I really need to go for a nicer setting.

2 comments:

munchiew said...

But...Kuriya IS a fine dining restaurant! Well, not that high...but it's definitely NOT the same level as ichiban/kuishinbo places.

Kevin said...

Just wanna intro you to a Japanese restaurant that serve unique food at good prices. Ask for the Head Chef Michael. Their Fusion Sushi like Oishi Maki and Pitan(Century Egg) Maki is a must try. Their Ramen also caters to majority of taste buds.

Yamada Restaurant & Sushi Bar
2 Marina Boulevard
#B1-08 The Sail @ Marina Bay
Tel: +65 6227 7648