Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Resto Surabaya, Lucky Plaza

Ayam Penyet Kremes

I was walking by Lucky Plaza tonight when I noticed a sign for an Indonesian place, right next to the sign for Ayam Penyet Ria. Curiosity struck, and I went up there (#02-63, 6732-1803) to check it out.

At the top of the menu was the ayam penyet kremes, or a Surabayan fried chicken, so I grabbed that, figuring that's what these guys were known for. I wasn't quite sure if the addition of the word kremes made this any different from that stuff at Ayam Penyet Ria, but this was very, very tender (I guess that's what all that hammer smashing did!). The batter wasn't necessarily anything that knocked me off my feet, but the occasional dip into some of the hot sauce kept it going. It also came with some flat fried soybean thing with a bit of an edgy aroma to it. It admittedly wasn't something that I was immediately attracted to, but I guess that it was the Indonesian version of natto, and I'm glad I tried it.

Soto Ayam LamonganThe portions were a bit small, so it was good that I ordered two dishes. There were plenty of choices in front of me to choose from, be it sop buntut, bakso, or even ikan bakar (although this Indonesian version looked like it was slathered in some sauce). In the end, I went for my favorite soto ayam. I was a bit alarmed at first that they didn't bring me any limes to squeeze into it, but one taste of the broth and I realized that I didn't even need it. Cool.

That worked for me. These guys were also super speedy at bringing out the food. Is it true that that these guys were actually started by the same guys over at Ayam Penyet Ria? Well, I guess there's no shortage of choice for this stuff if you're over at Lucky Plaza.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the 'natto' is tempeh. It took me a while but I've taken to it. I get it when I order from a malay food stall. They fry up cubes of it with sliced green beens, tofu, and sambal chili. Quite tasty.

Anonymous said...

Confirmed that it's tempe. It's a very common food in Java part of Indonesia.

Anonymous said...

Yup, it sure is TEMPE. It's one of the javanese staple food. In the villages, it is normally eaten with TAHU, which is the other preserved beancurd, with rice and raw vegetables and of course not forgetting the chilli paste (SAMBAL).

CiiE said...

may i raise a question...

do u just eat during meal times or as and when u passed-by some place curiously??

mind-boggling, but veri tempting blog u have! 'cures' those hunger pangs before bedtime!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, if you wanna try something non-pricey and traditional, check out the fried chicken rice and Mee Rebus at As-Shifaa Cafe on lvl 6 at Lucky Plaza.

Anonymous said...

actually its not true that the owner of ayam penyet ria is the owner of resto surabaya

Anonymous said...

I heard the owner name Ardiles Martiono. He has a good personality and kind attitudes. One day, when i came to Resto Surabaya #02-63 Lucky Plaza. I order some food and drink. When I saw the food size was average, but he came to me and said i will come back and give you another portion because the size was too small then i said it's ok. Then i ask for the Sambal Belacan,which is my favourite sambal in Spore, he give alot alot of sambal which he put on the small plate. I was so happy and keep coming back 4 times a week even during dinner time with my friends and family. To resto Surabaya fans, if you come to Resto Surabaya, you must find this guy call Ardiles Martiono, you can ask for a discount, good service, and he is very very friendly. I love Resto Surabaya's foods

Liam Wong Kok Keong said...

thanks to your guide. i went over and tried this fried dancing fish.. its very tasty with the sambal.. and also i tried the oxtail soup.. vry tasty and the portion is just nice. price wise is comparable to Ayam Penyet Ria. others, 2 thumbs up for Resto, even better than some of the restaurant in Indonesia itself

Martiono said...

i love resto surabaya! that includes the hot spicy sauce what they called sambal belacan..

cant stop dipping to it although i know i know my mouth was burning!

and i accidentally dropped my fork and one of the girl waitress took a new set for me, thats fantastic service without having to pay for the service charge!