Monday, December 25, 2006

Argentina Epilogue - Yerba Mate

Yerba mate

Having cured my gourd, I finally tried this stuff out today. I don't even know if I got the whole procedure right as one is apparently supposed to invert the gourd cup, tilt the tea leaves to one side, insert the bombilla straw, pour a little cold water in first, and then finally pour in hot (not boiling) water.

Well, basically this did have a rather strong taste...kinda like a dark Chinese tea, but also with a very "green" taste, if that means anything. It was bitter, but it had a hint of sweetness in it too (apparently one can also add sugar if he really wants to). Actually, I'm pretty sure that I didn't do this perfectly as I still got some particles coming through the straw, the elimination of which was one of the objectives of that whole ritual.

I don't know if I put in the correct amount of yerba in either, as I filled it up quite liberally, and thus leaving me with very little room for liquid to brew (and hence requiring frequent refills). It sure was a lot stronger than that toasted mate tea bag stuff that I had one morning in Brazil. Well, hopefully I can figure out how to do this correctly.

3 comments:

YerbaMan said...

Hi Hungryboy,

I am writing this blog on yerba mate. If you are ok with it, let's exchange links. My address is http://yerba-user.blogspot.com/
and my email is "visarga at gmail dot com" - let me know.

Anonymous said...

The amount of particle is in the bombilla more than the prep. I've been drinking it since I first visited Uruguay. Flipping it over does help, but moreso having a decent, cleanable (open-end) bombilla and above all a yerba that is not all powder. I had a Brasilian brand - manufactured by a company called "Fuk S.A." - that was more powder than leaves or palos. Fuk that.

-Marshall Lentini

Discovering The World, Discovering Erin Khoo said...

Hey buddy; I am a huge fan of Yerba Mate.

Might have put to much in to begin with; brews like green tea. Just leave it steep for a little longer than reg. tea.

twitter me. @erinkhoo
(lived in Singapore for 21 years!)