Sunday, December 24, 2006

Argentina Epilogue - Part I

A chocolate alfajor

Here's a couple followups to some items from Argentina last week, the first of which is a variation of alfajores from a box that I bought at the airport. These came in chocolate and sugar-coated versions that almost made them like Hostess Ding Dongs (but with dulche de leche inside instead of whipped cream of course). They were sweet, but not annoyingly so. I should have bought a bigger box.

Curing my mateI was also eager to try out my mate, which is a tea that the Argentineans take in a concentrated dose in a special cup and straw. It is not available in restaurants since this is apparently more of something that Argentineans do at home with their family (there is some big procedure in brewing the stuff and passing it around...kinda like a Chinese tea ceremony, I suppose). So I had to buy the kit and bring it home. Unfortunately, it turns out that I need to cure the cup first by leaving the tea leaves steeping in the cup for a couple days, so I'll have to revisit this later to see what it tastes like.

No comments: