Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ikukan Japanese Restaurant

Wafu Hamburger Steak Lunch Set

This wasn't bad. Ikukan is tucked off Club Street at 23 Mohamed Ali Lane (6325-3362). I had heard about this place before, and finally got the chance to come here today. Apparently the chef is the former chef of Suntory, which explains why it's "contemporary Japanese dining." Normally I'm not a big fan of modern Japanese food, but I have to admit that I inhaled this pretty quickly. The hamburger steak was filled with mozzarella cheese inside, reminding me a bit of chicken cordon bleu (but using mozzarella of course). The meat was tender, tasty (with a fresh ponzu daikon topping), and done just right (it was very Japanese in taste though; almost like Pepper Lunch on steroids).

Some sashimi sides that we got were fresh, and the asupara maki was piping hot with just the right degree of burntness. Lunch set prices were much lower than I was expecting too (S$20 and upwards, if I remember correctly), although I think it can get quite a bit more expensive if you opt for their kaiseki meals.

No comments: