Thursday, March 23, 2006

Uberburger, Millenia Walk

#1 - the Sirloin Burger

I was walking down Millenia Walk and came upon this new place (complete with plasma TV screens hanging everywhere) by sheer chance (9 Raffles Boulevard #01-06, 6837-0280). I wasn't sure if it would be any good, as the chichi-looking plates on the other diners' tables wasn't exactly a turn-on for me, but nonetheless I hadn't had a good burger in a while, so I figured that I'd give it a shot. After thumbing through a very long and strangely shaped menu, I settled on the most basic #1, a sirloin burger for S$16 (US$9.40).

It was OK. The meat quality was good, even if my "medium" seemed more like a "rare." The salad was bearable, even if the snooty factor was getting a bit thick, based on the sun-dried tomatoes and seeds in there (and notice that they give you a salad instead of fries). What's strange is, if they really wanted to make this gourmet, why then did they give little disposable packets of Heinz rather than some dijon mustard?

This place is apparently done by the guys behind Corduroy & Finch, so that explains a few things. They even had a three-digit-figure-priced wagyu beef & foie gras burger (whoa - it reminds me of Hamburger Hamlet in LA who used to offer a three-digit-figured Dom Perignon and two burger special). Honestly, I still prefer a more down-to-earth burger instead, complete with artery-clogging cheese fries (like at Happy Hound in Los Gatos, CA) served in cheap plastic baskets and paper. But I'll still come back here. They had a steak tartare on the menu that seemed worthy of a try.

6 comments:

lol said...

hey, its pretty nice :) I was there today. But major pricey for a burger...
And yeah...I saw that $101 burger too...I doubt any one wld actually order that tho...lol...for 101, I might as well buy my own foie gras, own beef...and make my own burger...

minitotoro said...

dijon is indeed way different from heinz! indispensable for the gourmet

Anonymous said...

yes, I also stumbled over uberburger yesterday. I ordered the $32 wagyu-style burger and a side of fries. It was actually fantastic, perfectly cooked and far far better than all the bad burgers around town. Oh and they do have dijon mustard, you just have to ask. Worth every $ in my opinion especially since a wagyu-style steak of that size would set you back more $. The fries were big, hot and crispy. Good international beers on tap, not expensive, certainly worthy of many visits. They show all the sporting events on the big plasmas as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey my name is Calven

Just want to make more friends eh~~
I am a new comers to Singapore~

LiquidShaDow said...

maafie, I don't think the wagyu styled burger is made with wagyu beef. So in essense, it's still a very pricey burger.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, i dined there before back in 2006. When I wanted to show my friend this place sometime in 2007..i was told it was closed down. So embarassing! Food was all right there I thought. S$100+ wagyu burger was the main attention to this place initially which I avoided, phew!