Monday, March 06, 2006

Komala's Restaurant

It could have passed for KFC...

Wow - Indian fast food...really. What do you get when you try to put KFC together with an Indian vegetarian place? Komala's Restaurants. Komala Vilas is a famous place in Singapore, and apparently the sons of the owner started up this fast food version of it (multiple locations, including Peninsula Plaza as well as on Serangoon Road), complete with plastic containers, napkins, a Coke fountain, and nice plastic bags. Darn - there goes my idea for starting up fast food dosa in LA.

This was so novel to me, as all I had seen of Indian food before was in those usual metal trays (or on a banana leaf) rather than in what could have easily passed for KFC had I been looking quickly. I seriously thought that little cup was full of mashed potatoes...but alas it was curry inside (and it was funny seeing the chutneys sitting in a three-tray plastic container). They even had chaat on the menu. It wasn't half as good as Raj, but it definitely wasn't bad either (I would come back).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Restaurant is very un-hyginic.!!!