Thursday, February 02, 2006

Balestier Midnight Bak Kut Teh

Bak Kut Teh, complete with mee suah, yio tiao, pig trotters, salted vegetables, and tofu skin

My favorite bak kut teh place, Founder, on Balestier Road, was apparently still closed for Chinese New Year tonight, so we popped over a couple doors to one of their competitors, which is still half-decent with a nice peppery garlic broth. I tried the pig trotters for the first time today, but it was just a lot of mushy fat and skin. Still, I didn't mind the garlic cloves, which were nice and soft - a bit like the Bagna Calda at the Stinking Rose. And I noticed at the end that the broth had a mild tinge of Chinese herbs (ginseng?) in it, which I normally would have thought that I would hate, but this was so mild that it wasn't too bad. I still prefer Founder to this place, but this is not a bad fallback in case Founder is closed.

1 comment:

venitha said...

Bagna Calda at The Stinking Rose! Oh, man, you know how to torture a girl! Steer clear of their garlic ice cream, though. Maybe I can get a layover at SFO long enough for a dinner out sometime.