Sunday, October 23, 2005

Netsuretsu Ichiban-Tei, Robertson Quay

Clockwise from upper right: Asahi Nama Biru, Tonkotsu Ramen, Kimuchi, Gyoza

I must have walked by this place (60 Robertson Quay, #01-13, 6733-3923) a million times after eating at Aburiya, but never found the chance to go in (and a fellow reader had recommended it a while back too). Today, we finally had a chance to go, and it wasn't too bad. It's a relatively authentic low-cost (relative to Japanese food) Japanese family restaurant, with ramen obviously being a key fixture as a result. In fact, their logo seems to suggest that they specialize in tan tan ramen, which I didn't try this time, but hope to one of these days (obviously it's not going to be like the Taiwanese version though).

Anyway, the tonkotsu ramen was probably one of the best I've had in Singapore: it was relatively creamy and rich, with ingredients done just right, like the egg and noodles (the chasiu was also extra fatty). It was definitely much better than Tampopo's (although it still isn't Jyangara - that's for sure). I was also happy to see them serving draft Asahi beer, another thing I haven't found too common in Singapore (one notable exception being Noodle Shop Ken).

Tsuke Shoyu

The tsuke shoyu cold ramen was also decently good, with generous portions of condiments (although not so generous portions of noodles). Neighboring Miharu is honestly much better, but this is not bad by any means. They also have a tsuke tonkotsu featuring my favorite pork bone-based broth that I'm eager to try next time.

The only real letdown was the gyoza, which were too short and fat without enough grease taste. I'll pass on those next time. (Strangely, they also provided kimuchi on every table, but it seemed too Chinese to me - not enough salt.) But there's still lots that I want to try here, including the namesake tan tan ramen, as well as the chahan fried rice. It looks like they have another location at the Hong Leong Building (916 Raffles Quay, #B1-16, 6221-7781) within the Nanten restaurant, so I hope to get a chance to go again soon.

No comments: