Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Mamma Lucia Pasta & Pizza

Cavatelli alla Matriciana

Tonight's meal here was pretty bad. I remembered having a decent meal here a couple years ago (11 Unity Street #01-07 Robertson Walk, 6738-0242), and I was further encouraged by a relatively good experience at Mamma Lucia's companion churrascaria next door a while back. But everything tonight was way too salty and with a strange saccharin-like aftertaste (this included both the minestrone soup as well as the home-made cavatelli alla matriciana). I even found a human hair in my soup. Ugh!! At least they provided some antipasti (including eggplant) to start, but it still wasn't anything great, compared to Rome anyway.

It's strange. The carpaccio and penne alla carbonara I had last time were actually pretty good if memory serves, but today's tomato-based dishes were just unacceptable. I'm going to Cantina next time. The only saving grace was being able to leave Mamma Lucia's for Canele Patisserie-Chocolaterie for dessert next door (#01-09, 6738-8145), but beware that they are only open until 8 PM on certain nights.

4 comments:

joone! said...

Go to valentino! I went there recently and it was fantastic. I've yet to finish writing my blog entry for it though .. i can give you the address if you are interested.

bma said...

Is that the one that was opened by the former Cantina chef? If it's as good as Cantina, then a visit is definitely in order.

Goat Almighty said...

im sure you know that the food's not always cooked by the same guy and hence the difference.

some guys are better at certain dishes than others.

whatever it is, you have a very interesting concept of a blog. much appreciated.

joone! said...

yep! I think the story is that he left cantina and started Valentino.