Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Exploring Rome Fiumicino Airport

Picture 001 (Small)

Having to route through Rome again on my way home, I found a few things worth noting. First off was the “Italian Food Shop” (yes, that’s how the sign is labeled) near some of the gates. Step inside and you get a good whiff of all the great Italian ingredients we’ve come to know and love: pasta, cheese, salami, olive oil, wine, etc. I thought I had gotten sick of Italian food after these past few days, but all the odors in this store just made me hungry again.

DSC02879 (Small)

Hence, the next stop was what appeared to be a tacky cafeteria that was not really known to passengers (seeing that it was upstairs) but known to all the local employees. The food actually looked pretty darned good in the windows, and after that experience in the shop earlier, I had to get a taste. Boy, was it great. The highlight was the penne – cooked to perfection texture-wise, and with an amazingly rich and spicy sauce. A big bowl of parmesan was available too, and I dumped that stuff on. Add some of the usual eggplant and a salad (unfortunately he didn’t understand my Italian when I tried to order the mushrooms though) plus some breadsticks, and it was good to go. Yum. That was a surprisingly good plate of penne – I hope I can get something similar back home at Cantina.

I also grabbed a local Nastro Azzurro beer on the way out. It was pretty thin, just like that other local beer I had. I probably won’t get any cravings for these lagers – I still prefer English ales. Finally, here is another interesting local drink, Slam, which appears to be Pepsi Italy’s version of Orangina (a bit more artificial though).

No comments: