Tuesday, October 20, 2020

HK's Hoover Egg Tarts via Joy Luck Teahouse in Singapore

From front: cookie skin and pastry skin egg tarts

So somebody has opened up kiosks in Singapore that serve snacks from three big brands in Hong Kong. One of these brands was Tak King Fishball Company, serving curry fishballs that I didn't bother with. Another brand was Kam Kee, featuring milk tea and bolo pineapple buns, both of which were pretty good, but were not my main interest.

I was focused on the egg tarts from Hoover Cake Shop, which is allegedly a favorite of Chow Yun-Fat's. They featured two different kinds of crusts: the ones in front were a shortbread cookie-like version, while the ones in back were a flaky pastry shell. I thought I would like the latter better, but it was the former that was much more exciting. Yet it still wasn't as good as Tai Cheong.

No comments: