Sunday, June 03, 2018

Lao Shan Dong Homemade Noodles in Taipei, Taiwan

Beef Noodle

Since my last visit to Taipei, Michelin has since released its first-ever guide here. Da Wan, MUME, and Sushi Ryu (started by the former Sasa chef, I understand) all got stars. But of course there was also the Bib Gourmand list, which includes not just Din Tai Fung and Fu Hang, but also a decent list of beef noodle shops like Chingzhen, Jian Hong, Lin Dong Fang, and Yongkang. Tonight, I decided to try another Bib Gourmand beef noodle shop, Lao Shan Dong, out in Ximending (70 Xining South Road B1, 2389-1216).

I can see why they liked it. Not only was the beef incredibly tender, but those widely cut noodles were firm and nicely textured. Granted, the broth was naked when it came out, and it was a bit tame, even after I gave it a good scoop of chili oil. But then I found another red chili oil that gave it a lot more depth, and one could always gnaw on a few cloves of raw garlic if it still wasn't punchy enough. Jian Hong and Lin Dong Fang are better, but this was definitely much better than your average shop too.

No comments: