Tuesday, October 24, 2017

An Outlet of Phở Bay in South Korea

Phở

For some reason, Vietnamese phở is rather popular here in South Korea. I've seen lots of shops in the many times that I've been here, including this chain. And today there was an outlet nearby before our next meeting, so I suggested coming here to see if it was done differently in Korea.

I didn't like it. The broth was very faint, and lacked the aromatic bouquet of spices that I'm accustomed to. They got the noodles right, but the garnish lacked things like basil (does that make this North Vietnamese then?).

Interestingly, the onions on the garnish plate were pickled (sweet), and big cuts of oshinko were provided too (I can only assume that it was part of an effort to cater to the local interest in banchan?). Next time, I'll gladly take a lovely bowl of gomtang instead.

No comments: