Sunday, March 25, 2012

Quán Phở Gia Truyền in Hanoi

Quán Phở Gia Truyền

After that last snack, a crisp bowl of clear soup sounded like exactly what I needed to wash this down, so we came down here (49 Phố Bát Đàn), a place that is lauded so much for its quality of phở that lines form regularly. And it was indeed pretty cool with its giant vat of soup in the side room and cuts of beef hanging on the side for them to slice to order.

Phở Tái Nạm

Unfortunately, I didn't really care for the mildly sweet and otherwise plain-tasting broth, especially when the condiments at hand were minimal too. Earlier today, I was on the fence about northern versus southern-style phở. If this epitomizes the best of the northern style, then I think my preference just swung to the southern style, whose punchier broth and accompaniments are more unique and satisfying to me. I liked the beef here though, and it was a cool experience to come here either way.

No comments: