Sunday, June 01, 2014

A Market at Jardín Pushkin in Mexico City

Chicharrones

After breakfast, I randomly came across this market down the street. At first, it seemed more like a garage sale or flea market, with random things like clothes, pirated DVDs, and even Atari 2600's (!) for sale. But then I suddenly saw this dude selling these gigantic chicharrones. Whoa! I didn't buy one of course, but it was getting me excited.

Lunchtime!

Then I turned the corner and found an entire row of benches where families sat down to chow down on all sorts of random food. The aroma of animal fat cooking over a flame wafted through the air, making me want to eat something. But alas, my stomach could not take any more food, so I just "window shopped" through all of the tacos, cemitas, and blue corn quesadillas that I saw along the way.

Fruit juice for sale

And of course there was lots of fresh produce, including things like avocados and squash blossoms. There were also juice ladies like the one above, as well as sliced fruit with chili powder. It wasn't until now that I realized how similar this all was to the San Jose Flea Market. I think I'm going to have to hunt down some bigger ones later today.

No comments: