Wednesday, April 09, 2014

The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver, Colorado

Half order of Rocky Mountain Oysters

I hesitated at first about coming here (1000 Osage Street, 534-9505). It just seemed like a tourist trap, being not just Denver's oldest restaurant, but also serving all sorts of exotic game that one might figure to be typical of the culture out here. Seeing the T-shirts on display in the entrance (and Japanese on the menus!) wasn't exactly giving me much reassurance either.

Nonetheless, I still came here out of sheer curiosity, ordering the obligatory Rocky Mountain Oysters above as well as a combo plate of buffalo and elk. The testicles were cut more thinly than the ones that I tried in the past, but were still breaded, thus making you taste more batter (and horseradish/cocktail sauce) than the balls. I can't help but wonder how this might taste if it were simply grilled with a bit of salt and lemon. Indeed, the texture was a lot like gyutan, even if it had a mild taste of liver.

Similarly, the buffalo and elk weren't anything that exciting either, especially the latter, which was so lean that I didn't even bother to finish it. Perhaps the thing that I liked the most here was the bean soup, but it ultimately wasn't worth the money: I spent about $90 as a solo diner with two beers, coffee, and tip. Sure, I'm glad that I came to check it out, but I don't think I'll be going back.

No comments: