Sunday, January 12, 2014

Bincho at Hua Bee in Tiong Bahru

Skewerless Yakitori

The last time that I tried to come down here (78 Moh Guan Terrace #01-19, 6438-4547), I learned the hard way that they were closed on Mondays. Nonetheless, I had been wanting to check it out for a while now, as it was yet another spot from the folks behind the Market Grill and Keong Saik Snacks, all in a venue that interestingly did double duty as an old school bak chor mee shop in the daytime. At night, they serve yakitori.

And that's probably what threw me off. Yes, it was yakitori, but done up in a fancy manner. Witness those skewerless cuts of meat served on that slate above...they were definitely delicious and tender, but the traditionalist inside of me wishes that they served them to me on skewers in a more humble setting. It was almost as if Esquina were serving yakitori: it'd be very pretty and of very high quality, but would also be very high priced.

They didn't do a la carte here; it was basically just three sets starting at S$80 (US$63), which was a heck of a lot more than I had expected to pay when I had set out for this place. Sure, I could rack up just as high of a bill going to somewhere like Nanbantei or Aburiyatei, but I'd be emotionally more satisfied there. Well, at least this place featured some impressive cocktails from the bartender behind the Library, even if that just ended up shooting my bill through the roof even more.

No comments: