Sunday, September 01, 2013

Sumire Yakitori House in Singapore

Negima

Interestingly, the English name of this chain up in Japan is Yakitori-ya Smile, but its new outlet down here in English-speaking Singapore uses its Japanese name, Sumire. And being based at a place like Bugis Junction, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but nonetheless I came down here on its opening day today to see if it were any good (80 Middle Road #01-88/89, 6338-9963).

The prices were much lower than I thought they would be. And for those kinds of prices, one still got respectable quality food, all of which I ate quickly. The menu was also rather interesting, featuring things like grilled avocado (complete with the skin, which I never thought I would ever eat), as well as the usual chicken parts and veggies, all ordered through a gimmicky but fast iPad ordering system.

Still, you get what you pay for. It was a far cry from my all-time favorite Shirokane Tori-Tama, and arguably even more humble places like Aburiyatei and Nanbantei were more exciting to me (actually, now that I look at it, its prices weren't that far off from Nanbantei either). Even the little cup of chicken soup here, which they boasted of hauling in from Japan, wasn't as good to me as the free one that they give at Ichigo. But I'll come back; I have an idea on how I can maximize my dollar here and am eager to test it.

No comments: