Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hoi Bibimbap from Manbok in Tanjong Pagar

Hoi Bibimbap

Tanjong Pagar has always been loaded with a lot of Korean restaurants, but it seems like there's more popping up all of the time. Tonight I walked down the street to see if any of them might be worth a visit, including one that featured those Darth Vader siphons but in an attractive brass color. It seemed like it had potential but I kept on walking given that I wasn't in the mood to blow a wad of money on beef tonight.

But then I noticed another one on the other side of the street without grills, and with generally lower prices (58 Tanjong Pagar Road, 6224-6061). When I looked at the name, I realized that it was the same Manbok that had those brass siphons, except this outlet wasn't as focused on barbeque. Anyway, I sat down and grabbed a bimbimbap, with the only one available today being a raw fish version. That sounded like it might be interesting.

I wasn't quite sure what to do at first since the rice unexpectedly came out separate from the rest...would that make it make it just bibim? Anyway, I ended up eating it like a salad without the rice (and yes, I guess I liked it despite the tough quality of the fish), all while singlehandedly clearing out all of that banchan that was clearly intended for a much bigger group of people. I had forgotten how many vegetables one could get in Korean food just by eating the banchan alone.

No comments: