Friday, June 22, 2007

ChoWon Garden, Peck Seah Street

Yukhoe

Here's another one of the tons of Korean restaurants around here (Airview Building #01-01, 6225-1317). I grabbed the yukhoe tonight. I'd eaten the Japanese version of it a number of times, so curiosity drew me to the original Korean version.

It was fine. It fortunately wasn't as sweet as I was expecting, and the freshness of the meat (albeit half-frozen) and heavy dousing of sesame seeds kept it going for me. Admittedly, this wasn't exactly what this post-heavy-work-week-beer-filled-belly of mine needed for satiation (and I definitely still prefer the way the French do it). Nonetheless I was decently pleased enough with this place to want to come back; I had their kalbi-tang the other day too and was rather happy with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I brought a Korean friend to the restaurant along Boat Quay, he said it was pretty authentic as they had some items like fried rice cake and beef tartare. I liked the soups, the mandoo seemed homemade, in the shape of a tortellini and the kimchi chigae was thick and flavourful.

It's a pity it doesn't open till late given its location.

If you are looking for a late night joint other than the usual prata places, a friend pointed out the "Scissors Curry Rice" along Kitchener Road. The drawback is that some the dishes aren't exactly pipping hot.