Thursday, July 13, 2006

Da Paolo Pizza Bar

Prosciutto e Funghi Pizza

Whoa...that was actually mildly (and unexpectedly) disappointing. Given the outstanding experience we'd had at Da Paolo last time, we figured that their pizza joint down the street (44 Jalan Merah Saga #01-46, 6479-6059) would be leaps and bounds better than most other pizza joints around here. Instead, it was not much better than places like Spizza, if at all. While the type of mushrooms and such on my prosciutto e funghi pizza were a fun surprise, the tomato sauce was a bit too overbearing, and the cheese a bit boring. The crust was thin, but not thin enough, and even soggy in some places. Even the little bowl of olives that we got to start with here too sour for my taste. Strange.

Insalata Con CarciofiWell, OK, actually the pizza was far better than average and in no ways bad. And the service was still top-notch (not to mention super-fast). But I guess we just had such high hopes that we were a bit let down in the end. At least the salads were decently good, but that may not be enough to bring us running back back here, especially for the prices that were paid. (It was interesting to note them offering a breakfast menu on weekends though; maybe that would be worth checking out one of these days.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, any recommendation for fish & chips?

bma said...

Yeah, try punching in "fish and chips" into the search bar at the top, and you'll find that I've been trying to find the best fish & chips in Singapore at all sorts of places, but with mixed results.

Right now I think my favorites here are still Big Fish and Fishermen's Wharf, although I was so sanguine in that latter one that I wonder myself if I was a bit disillusioned at the time. Maybe I'll try hitting it up again sometime soon. It's been a while since I've been there anyway.

Anonymous said...

it's too bad you didn't really care for Da Paolo's Pizza Bar...i've been there a few times and have always loved what i ordered. my favs are definitely the calamari and arugula/goat cheese salad...i've also tried the portobello mushroom thingamabob and that worked out really well too. it *is* rather overpriced for pizza though i have to say!