Thursday, July 13, 2006

Xiao Long Bao from the Dumpling Nazi

Xiao Long Bao and Pan-Fried Dumplings

After reading that reader comment about the Dumpling Nazi's xiao long bao being one of the best in Singapore, I hopped on over to see for sure. I was a bit skeptical at first, especially since these didn't look that impressive from the outside. But after taking a bite, I can see where that statement had some merit. They were loaded with a lot of soup inside (and I mean, a lot!), and a decently tasty one at that. The stuffing itself was tender, and the skin wasn't as thick as it had looked. I wish there were a little more lard loaded into this thing for some extra kick though.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that it was the best in Singapore, but it was much better than I was expecting (and honestly, I can't really think of any other place around here whose xiao long bao totally knocked me off my feet either). I did rather enjoy those pan fried dumplings this second time here though. They reminded me a bit of the gyoza at Ohsho, albeit open-ended.

2 comments:

venitha said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely try this one. I love the xiao long bao at Din Tai Fung, but I haven't eaten anything else there that is worth a darn.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I should have qualified my statement. I was a poor undergraduate so that was something good which was also within budget for regular consumption. You mentioned that Tokyo is the best place for foodies. Well, its tough living here for a long time if you like spicy, complex food. Or do you know of somewhere good for South East Asian fares around here?