
Those white ceramic pots of drinkable yogurt on the right are common on the streets of Beijing, with patrons leaving lots of consumed jars in front of each stall for recycling purposes. But the clear green douzhir things on the left were something that I had never heard of before, so I decided to try one.
It turns out that it was a fermented byproduct of making mung bean starch for glass noodles. It was a "juice" that was surprisingly thin and sour. More notably, it had a funky decomposing taste that took some getting used to, a bit like stinky tofu.
I only found out afterwards it is supposed to be consumed as a hot beverage. But I took one from the fridge given the blazing hot weather this week, and apparently the cold temperature amplified that taste. Hopefully I got some good probiotics into my belly in the process at least.
No comments:
Post a Comment