
Those little ceramic pots of drinkable yogurt are common on the streets of Beijing, with lots of consumed jars left in front of the stall for them to recycle. But the clear green things on the left were something that I had never heard of before, so I decided to give it a try.
It turns out that it was fermented mung bean juice that is the byproduct of making mung bean starch for glass noodles. And it was surprisingly thin and sour. More notably, it had a funky decomposing taste that took some getting used to, a bit like stinky tofu.
I only found out afterwards this is supposed to be consumed hot. But I took one from the fridge given the blazing hot weather this week, and apparently the cold temperature amplified that taste. Hopefully I got some good probiotics into my belly in the process at least.
No comments:
Post a Comment