Monday, September 09, 2024

Pivovar U Medvídků in Prague, Czechia

Konfitované kachní stehno s variací knedlíků, kysané a červené zelí

One of the other things that my local colleagues told me was a big thing in Czech cuisine are the dumplings. It took me a while though before I realized that these were not like xiaolongbao nor even those big Georgian ones, but instead those bread-like slices above.

Yep, they were called knedlíky and were a type of bread that had been boiled and then sliced. It was like a mildly sour mantou that one could use to mop up the sauce next to the duck confit above. There was also a darker potato-based version to the left of it. We got this from a wooden beer hall in the Old Town (Na Perštýně 345/7, 736-662-900).

Speaking of beer, they had their own brews here, as well as Budějovický Budvar, which I finally got to try. It was a little sweeter than I was expecting, but certainly still better than American Budweiser. It also wasn't the cheaper-than-water price that I had heard about, although it was technically cheaper than soft drinks.

No comments: