Sunday, June 30, 2024

China’s Wen Zhang Lao Mian in Singapore

Black Fish in Golden Soup

I didn't realize this until recently, but this chain from China had an outlet near Bugis last year. And now they have moved all the way up to Waterway Point (83 Punggol Central #B2-04). They specialize in noodles in your choice of broth, so I grabbed that fish bowl above in a golden yet mildly spicy soup.

That sour broth was certainly better than what one might find at a typical food stall, but it didn't blow me away either. Similarly, they had a bacon fried rice that sounded like it might have some promise. I was fine, but it would've been more descriptive if they called it a dried shrimp and scallion fried rice instead, since that was what you tasted more than the bacon. Those scallions made it a bit sweet too.

No, I wouldn't wait in line for this place. But I do want to go back to try their suancaiyu. And maybe more noodles - not necessarily for the food itself, but because of an amusing gimmick where each bowl is printed with a message at the bottom, some of which tell you that your bowl will be free of charge.

No comments: