Thursday, June 06, 2024

Chan Chi Hot Pots Lab in Taipei, Taiwan

Hot Pot

One would never be able to tell by lookng at the grim decor here that this place has a one month waitlist to get in (60 Heping East Road Section 3, 02-2377-7799). Fortunately, I lucked out this afternoon with a walk-in after someone canceled, and was eager to see what the fuss was about, especially since I got turned away when I tried coming here last year.

I've gotta say that I was kinda let down, as the sliced lamb and beef that I ordered weren't the greatest quality, and the fish dumplings that I got were rather boring too. The broth, while fragrant with generous amounts of tofu and firm bloodcakes, didn't blow me away, and the condiment selection was basically just centered around shacha sauce again.

OK, there were two things here that I liked, in particular a local beer that they interestingly mixed with sour plum juice. They also gave out a cute ice cream dessert that was wrapped up like candy, presumably in the spirit of nostalgia. I'm glad I made it in tonight, but it wasn't worth the effort. Next time I'm down here, I should just go across the street to Longtail.

No comments: