Monday, September 18, 2023

Mianxianhu and Shachamian in Xiamen, China

Mianxianhu

I’m transiting through Xiamen on this trip and saw a shop at the airport selling local street snacks. I’m not sure if I’ve ever had this rice noodle soup before, so I grabbed one to try. It was surprisingly mild, which was a bit of a letdown until I noticed the bottle of vinegar and tub of chili oil on the counter later. That made it a little better, although I’m sure that I could get something much better if only I had a little more time to go into town.

Shachamian

I shouldn’t have been surprised by the way to find later that my connecting flight was delayed. Fortunately, there was a restaurant right next to my gate selling shachamian, so I figured that I might as well get a bowl while I was here in Xiamen. It was a bit like what I had last time I was here: peanutty but a bit watery and certainly not as punchy as what I would've liked. I should stop comparing it to Tung Kee's #2 bowl as that is really a different dish.

No comments: