Wednesday, May 24, 2023

The English House by Marco Pierre White

Singapore British Pork Chop Rice 1900

I've always been curious about this place, but there was no way that I was going to pay those sky high prices that they charge (28 Mohamed Sultan Road, 6545-4055). Fortunately, they are doing an "Inflation Menu 9.99" where a daily special goes for just ten bucks. Cool! Today's selection was that "Singapore British Pork Chop Rice" above. It was fine, but honestly wasn't anything that special aside from the thick cuts of Koffman's potatoes under the pork. But hey, the plating and service were nice, as was the colonial shophouse decor.

Yeah, the menu isn't just English food. There are Asian selections, including dim sum. So I grabbed a couple of them while I was here, in part just because I felt bad if I came to such an upscale place to only spend ten bucks. So I added a wild cod dumpling in a sea urchin sauce (a single one of which cost more than that inflation special above), as well as the black pepper beef ball, which was my favorite thing today. That was not only because of the in-your-face pepper, but also that super tender and bouncy Stoddart's beef from Scotland.

No comments: