Sunday, May 01, 2022

Shandong Helemian at 313’s Food Republic

Signature Chicken and Duck Hele Noodles

This stall has replaced Mademoiselle Tang Noodle's former slot next to Baguo Grilled Fish up at 313@somerset's food court. Those noodles didn't look very interesting at first; indeed, I initially skipped past those to get the chuanr, which they grilled on a nifty little mechanized grill but whose meat was tough and unappealingly sweet. While eating those, I read up on this helemian stuff, which apparently is a speciality in Shandong, so I went back to order one just out of curiosity.

It's too bad then that there wasn't anything that special about it, as it tasted like it looked. Sure, it was kinda different to see those skinnier-than-udon-like noodles, duck-based meatloaf things, and the pickled garlic cloves. And the broth might be good after a night of drinking too. But none of those were exciting enough for me to want to order it again. If I do, then I have to spike it with their chili oil, which was basically the only thing that I really liked from this place.

No comments: