Friday, February 04, 2022

Deep Fried Sushi from Maki-San in Singapore

Deep Fried Sushi

Maki-san is a chain of design-your-own sushi shops around the island. It's like a salad bar where you pick the ingredients that you want and they roll it up. It isn't a concept that I'd be drawn to, but then I noticed something interesting tonight: there was an option to fry your maki roll.

It was basically dunked into tempura batter and then fried. A hard shell emerged, which didn't exactly make it easy to eat. And the hot temperature of everything inside was a bit odd too. In case you're wondering, I went for the brown rice option above, and it wasn't vinegared.

I'm not sure of where this concept originated from, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if county fairs or food trucks in the US were involved. Now that I look at it again, I had something similar at Sushi Burrito many years ago, but that was coated in panko rather than tempura batter.

No comments: