Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Tamil Nadu's Dindigul Thalappakatti Restaurant in Singapore

Mutton Briyani and Tawa Meen Roast

This is an old chain of briyani restaurants from Tamil Nadu. It turns out that they've opened an outlet in Singapore (195 Kitchener Road, 6909-8694), and they can arrange for delivery during the current circuit breaker period. I thus placed my order for lunch today.

It was awesome. That tawa meen at the bottom was a lightly spiced and breaded fish that was crunchy yet tender, while the mutton briyani was peppery, with just the right amount of spices. Granted, the mutton wasn't as tender nor fatty as Bismillah, and they used a short grain rice, to my surprise. But they say that it's precisely this parakkum sittu rice that is able to absorb all of the spices that long grain basmati rice can't.

Yes, I will happily order from them again, as well as go to the restaurant itself when we are permitted. There are actually a bazilion other things on the menu, including "biriyani in a bucket," which I think is for their ten-person party pack. But I'd still be happy ordering nothing but these two items.

No comments: