Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Lineage in Wailea, Maui

Smoke Meat

After a catered corporate reception tonight, I still wanted something more. So we went to this place (3750 Wailea Alanui Drive, 808-879-8800) for some cocktails and small plates from a local chef. It was a partnership with ABC Stores...yes, that tacky convenience store chain selling sunscreen and souvenirs. But this was not a plasticky-looking place. If no one had told me that this was from ABC Stores, I never would've guessed it.

Anyway, I liked what we had, including a vodka and gin-based cocktail featuring a chicharron garnish, as well as that "smoke meat" above. The food was local but playfully modern, like a vegetarian "garden poké" featuring cubes of daikon in place of fish, but still dressed up with things like limu.

More importantly, I discovered a Hawaiian condiment called chili pepper water, which was a little bottle of vinegar and water infused with chili peppers and other goodies. Their bottle here wasn't really spicy, but it was soy sauce-based and basically tasted like a ponzu sauce with just a hint of chili pepper. It was nice enough that I basically sipped on the stuff like tequila along with the rest of my meal.

No comments: