Monday, May 06, 2019

Clarke's Charcoal Broiler in Mountain View, California

Cheeseburger and Fries

I used to drive past this place many years ago when I still worked in Mountain View. But for some reason, I never went in (615 West El Camino Real, 650-967-0851). Today I was in the neighborhood again, and I'm glad that I made it this time. It's an old school place that has been running since 1945.

The thing that I liked the most was the huge condiment counter for you to dress your burgers up in, featuring tons of fresh green lettuce, big slices of onion (both red and white), not to mention pickles and pepperoncini plus an array of sauces including horseradish. I loaded up on my burger, making it go down with ease.

To be sure, the fries were a bore, and the meat was a bit overcooked. But it wasn't dry, and still carried a bit of a chargrilled aroma. So yes, I'll be back here again, especially since they have beer on tap too. In retrospect, it looks like you can specify the doneness of your meat, so I'll need to remember to do medium rare next time.

No comments: