Friday, December 07, 2018

Trying Nước Béo Hành Trần From Pho Bel-Air, San Jose

Phở with nước béo hành trần

I needed a bite after getting into San Jose Airport tonight, and fortunately these guys are open until midnight (they've finally changed their signage to Pho Bel-Air, by the way). So I hopped onto the free VTA #10 bus and came here. A hot bowl of soup was exactly what I needed.

The menu had a $1 add-on option for "scallions in fatty broth." It was that small bowl right next to the basil plate above, and it turned out that the "broth" was really just fat (and probably marrow?) that gets skimmed away from the real broth. And it was spiked with the thick white bases of (largely uncooked) scallion.

It seems that the Vietnamese name for this little sinful bowl is nước béo hành trần. It was both awesome and a bit over-the-top, especially given that I nearly put the entire bowl in. Next time I'll know just to add in a scoop or two. And I should probably try those white onions with vinegar too.

Epilogue: oh, I've had nước béo hành trần before at Pho NAM in Sunnyvale.

No comments: