Monday, December 24, 2018

Puesto at the Headquarters in San Diego, California

Tacos

This place (789 West Harbor Drive Suite 155, San Diego, 619-233-8880) is on all sorts of top San Diego lists. The menu wasn't X-berto's style either; it was clearly south of the border, inclining mildly toward Baja-Med. They even had wines from Valle de Guadalupe, and that's a flight above in case you thought I was a total lush.

They focused on three tacos of your choice, so I went with the taco of the month on the left, which was spiked with a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg, if I tasted it correctly. The filet mignon one on the right was better, as it had some crispy melted cheese in there. The biggest disappointment was the chicken al pastor in the middle, as it had a big chunk of dry meat (normally I'd avoid chicken precisely for that reason, but the menu said that it won some Tacolandia award). I had to order an extra set of their salsas to help get it down, and even then, they didn't pack as much heat as I would've liked.

Yeah, I didn't get blown away here like I hoped I would. But it was still respectable, and I suspect that I might be able to find the right combination if I just give it a few more tries. Besides, it looks like they opened a shop up in Santa Clara, which is good since I spend more time up there than down here.

No comments: