Friday, September 14, 2018

Hector's Cafe & Diner in NYC's Meatpacking District

Jumbo Beef Burger Deluxe

Man, I didn't think it would be this difficult to find late night food in New York. Sure, there are a good number of food carts on the streets, but I wanted somewhere to sit down, and each of the restaurants that Google said was open late either turned out to have shut down early or were only open for drinks. I must've been turned away from at least five or six different places before finally spotting this 24 hour shop underneath the High Line (44 Little West 12th Street, 212-206-7592).

A greasy diner wasn't exactly at the top of my list, but I didn't seem to have much else of a choice. Besides, this made it Eater's list of 21 Iconic New York City Diners & Lunch Counters, which gave me some reassurance. The menu was pretty long, but it seems that the burgers here in particular were good, especially since their supplier was one of the last meat companies remaining in this area before they moved out.

And yes, the meat was the best part. Surprisingly, it was all rather naked, with the fries unseasoned, no mayo on the bun, and even the lettuce, tomato, and pickle were an extra charge. But that's probably also why the beef taste came out so nicely. The fries sucked though (I think they were frozen). In retrospect, I should've gotten a double patty with onions.

1 comment:

Makanmata said...

If you are still in town and want a good burger, I highly recommend Brindle Room on 10th Street between Avenue A and 1st Avenue in the East Village.